-We will follow our traditional “Strength” option, but for today, there is a “stamina” option we’ve used in year’s past where we start with a cardio buy-in before hitting the heavy lifts. In addition to it being a good test of overall fitness, cardio buy-in, can serve as a decent warm up. For some, folks just hit better weights after a long run. Ask Breezy who PR’d her snatch in her grandma running shoes right after a long run! Refer to the distance equivalent from last week’s time trials if you are not running.
– For those staying put, the 4-3-2 is designed to get work at each designated rep range for at least 2-3 sets. It is not meant to just go for a 2 rep max and sandbag 4 and 3. Treat it as the sum of your best of each set.
-The finisher weights for GTO should be something they can do in 2 linked sets or very quick singles. Be sure to get a couple reps before the squats or warm up a couple during your rest periods.
A.) Strength Option
25 Minute Clock
Back Squat or Front Squat
*Sum of best 3 sets.
A.) Stamina Option
25 Minute Clock
1 Mile Run or 2k Row or Ski or 5k/4k Bike, then,
Back Squat 3-3-3-3
*Sum of best 4 sets
@ Minute 30:00
10 Ground-to-Overheads 95/65, 115/75, 135/95, 155/105
15 Double Unders (ADV: 20) (Beef: 40) (Bison: 60)
5 Burpees (ADV BFB)
– For most WODs without scheduled rest, my intended stimulus is typically to work at a pace that allows for few “extended breathers/rest” (more than 15 sec b/t movements or sets) as possible. To do this, it’s logical to break up the movements early. Today though, the run and cardio movements will allow decent recovery for WB and Pullups. Today might be a good day to shoot for unbroken. If you feel that UNBROKEN will completely trash your run, slow it down and break it up. I am aiming for rx to be 5:00-6:30 per round and adv around 6:30-7:30 per round.
– For those who normally with solid cardio capacity but struggle on wall walks, should scale it down to 3 per set. Modifying is always an option.
20 Wall Balls (ADV: 25) (Beef: 30)
18/15 Calories of choice (ADV: 20m/f) (Beef: 25)
10 Pullups (ADV: C2B or 4/2 Bar MU) (Beef: 5 Ring MU) (Bison: 7 Ring Muscle Ups)
3 Wall Walks (ADV: 5) (Beef: 15 ft HS Walk) (Bison: 30ft HSWalk)
– For reference, This month’s OLY cycle will follow ( w1: Hang+ Floor) (w2: clean + 1 FS+ jerk or SN + 1OHS) (w3: Hang+Floor first/All Floor Finish) (w4: CJ/SC/ or Snatch Singles)
– Working the hang allows you to work the bar path on second pull. Today you’ll be able to do one hang and put it together from the floor right after. Expect the hang to be a limiter, so choose weight accordingly.
– Part B is a retest almost identical to July 13. I think there was a little miscommunication, or “redline” factor last time we did this. To be clear, if you BARELY get into the next minute, I humbly encouraged you to get back on the machine and rack up as many calories as you can in that new minute! It’s an BONUS round of fun ;). Any accumulated calories still counts to your score.
Every 90 sec for 15 minutes
1 Hang Squat Clean or Snatch + Full Squat Clean or Snatch
(hang can be anywhere from 2 in below the knee, to mid thigh).
B.) Repeat EMOM Test
Compare similar to 7/13/21
EMOM until failure
1 Calorie any machine
1 Power Cleans 95/65, 115/75, 135/95, 155/105
*every minute, add one rep to each movement until failure.
– Ideally, I’d like everyone to change the cardio/machine each round, but, the class size may determine it. There is nothing wrong with doing the same cardio each round.
– While the cardio can be looked at as recovery to the amrap, you will need to push it slightly to get some solid amrap time in, folks should think to push that at around 75-85% effort.
– I am shooting for around 2-3 rounds per set.
Every 9 minutes for 27 minutes
800m Run or Row or Ski (Beef: 1k Row) 3k/2k Bike
AMRAP in time remaining:
9 Deadlifts 115/75, 135/95, 155/105, 185/125
9/6 Pushups or Ring Pushups (ADV: 9/6 Ring Dips or HSPU) (Beef: 9)
9 Situps or HKR (ADV: 6 T2B) (Beef: 9 T2B)
9 Box Jumps
*START WHERE YOU LEAVE OFF.
– This one, is a little doozy-ish. If done correctly, this metcon should be the most intense out of the week ;). Given the descending rep schemes and relatively simple movements, managing heart will be key here. You will be able to move fast, but keep it under control.
– The weight on the barbell should be something you could do in 2-4 sets on the shoulder to overhead and the KBs should be broken up 1-2 times to manage HR. If you choose sled, it will be very leggy going back into the rower, and FC will be tax the STO. Pace moderately early, and then kick it in gear on 15-9.
-Beef going in reverse should treat the early sets easy!
*Beef: go in reverse (9-15-21-27)
Cals any Machine
Shoulder to overhead 75/55, 95/65, 115/75,
Russian KB Swings 53/35, 70/44 (Beef: American 70/53)
*70m Farmer Carry or Sled Push After or ODD Object carry after each set. Something they can do challenging but unbroken.
– You know I love 10 round/small set formats. The rx’d stimulus should be a fast moving, brief stopping if at all, and fast transitions. The ADV options require a little bit of skill with the OHS/C2B so while the goal is still the same, it is expected to have to wait a little and gather yourself before picking up the bar and doing C2B.
– Beef/Bison, have fun 😉
200m Run, Row, or Ski or 10/8 Cal Bike
4 Pull-ups (ADV: C2B)
6 Front Squats 75/55, 95/65, ADV: (95/65 OHS)
4 Down ups (ADV: Burpees)
200m Run or Row or 10 Cal Bike
6 C2B (Bison: 7 C2B or 3 Bar MU)
3 Squat Snatch 95-115/65-75 (Bison: 1 Rep @ 75% of 1RM)
– The EMOM for part A can be looked at as a work capacity tester within a minute. I want to see what rep ranges you can stick with for 6 rounds. Rather than having a blank max reps gauge, having some numbers up there will change the motivation a bit. While there are numbers up there, it’s OK to not hit the same number each round. Look at it with the mindset of, “Can I hit Rx’d or ADV reps across for 6 sets?”. If not, cool, next time, I’ll try to get that number or more throughout.
A.) Alt EMOM for 12 minutes
– 8 DBall/SB over Shoulders (Barbell option: 10 Hang Power Cleans 95/65, 115/75, 13595)
– 9 Calories of choice (ADV: 12) (Beef: 15) (Bison: 18)
REST 3 minutes
9 Minutes AMRAP
5/3 Pushups (ADV: 6) (Beef: 9
6 Situps or 3 T2B (Beef: 6 T2B)
9 Air Squats (12) (15)