If it seems like the CrossFit Open was just here… that’s because it was! With the recent changes they’ve made, the CrossFit Open will now take place in October, rather than February, therefore, this is the one time the Open takes place twice in the same year.
If you’re unfamiliar with what the CrossFit Open is, here is a quick overview. Each year CrossFit Headquarters holds a 5 week online competition which not only serves as the first level of qualifiers for the small population of people who desire to compete in the CrossFit Games, but also for the 200,00-300,000 people from around the world that simply like the idea of a 5-week challenge where they’ll be pushing themselves harder than what they usually do, as they participate alongside others from their gym. Each Thursday afternoon, starting next Thursday October 10th, CrossFit will release one workout which must be completed and score submitted by the following Monday at 5pm. Aside from having categories for all age groups, there is also an Scaled option for each of the workouts for those that are still relatively new to CrossFit, but like the idea of doing the Open and seeing how they stack up to others of the same age group from around the world, country, or state.
And while CrossFit and the CrossFit Open are often times targeted by many who trash talk the dangers, ineffectiveness, or general dislike of the workouts, no one person, group, or sport organization has even come close to having the global effect CrossFit has had on health and fitness. But that’s really irrelevant to why you should or shouldn’t participate in the Open. If you like the idea of challenging yourself, and cheering on others, etc. do it, if that doesn’t sound like fun, don’t do the Open, regardless, don’t judge others for their choice in participating or not participating.
For more info and to register for the CrossFit Open, go here!
- We’ll be running CrossFit Open Heats at the following times:
- Thursday 7:00pm*
- Friday 5:30pm
- Sunday 9:00am – 10:00am
- Monday 9:00am*
- Monday 3:30pm
- *the gym will be available during these times for anyone to do the Open workouts, but there will not be set heat times, as the coach will be teaching class. For these times you will need to provide you own judge
Additional stuff to remember regarding Sweat Shop & the Open:
- The following classes will be temporarily cancelled and used to run CrosFit Open Heats from Oct. 10th – Nov. 11th
- Friday 5:30pm
- Saturday 10:00am, 11:00am (we’ll have Open Gym at 11:00am on Saturdays, come and get your own workout in)
- Sunday 9:00am
- Each week you’ll need to reserve your heat time(s) when you’ll want to do the Open workout (link will be posted)
- Since everyone submitting a score will need a judge, expect to also judge someone’s workout either before or after your scheduled heat time
- Arrive early so that you have plenty of time to get warmed up and be ready to go when at your scheduled heat time
- Heat Times will be reserved through Zen Planner. If you don’t already have a login and p/w or aren’t sure how to get a new password, let me know so I can get one to you ASAP.