Community: The Real Fitness X-Factor
Let me start with a disclaimer. This post isn’t just in support of the business model (CrossFit/group fintess) that I happen to operate. This article, from Breaking Muscle, rings especially true to me lately as I’ve recently become much more motivated to train being a part of a “community”…. of two people that is, Helen and myself. In taking on her programming I’ve also found myself doing several of the workouts with her! And while I’ve always had the entire Sweat Shop family as part of my “community”, which is definitely beneficial, it’s even more powerful when you have a “workout partner”.
Think about whenever you have been most focused and consistent with any workout regimen, regardless of the type of exercise, chances are it involved some sort of community! Check out an excerpt from the Breaking Muscle article below:
If you prefer to exercise outside, or with a lot of variety, or with heavy weights, or with lots of stretching, or with games, or with anything else, there are plans for those too. Most likely, however, you prefer to work out and eat with friends.
A drive for community is at the root of most of our actions. As paradoxical as it sounds, community is the key to creating individual health changes. We are social creatures that adopt the patterns of our environment. Regardless of your goals, the answer is simple: for long-term success, create community around your health and fitness.
“Before, I’d go to the gym to achieve a certain weight or muscle goal, and I never stuck with it. Now I show up to see my friends, and we always exercise outdoors: at the beach, in a pool, on a lawn… It’s the highlight of the day. I have no outcome I want from it, and I’ve never been in better shape in my life. It helped me realize that the secret to change and growth is not willpower, but positive community.”
Read full article here.
Similarly, with the recent popularity boom of personal fitness devices, here’s another article from Outdoor Magazine titled Fitness Trackers Fail Because They’re Not Human.
- Weekly WOD Overview - October 7, 2018
- Don’t Just Fix It and Forget It – Trends in Cues - September 21, 2018
- Weekly WOD Insight 9/10/18 - September 9, 2018
- CrossFit Games Layoffs Signals Big Changes to Come - August 21, 2018
- Weekly WOD Overview – 8/13/18 - August 12, 2018
- Leader Board Challenge & Upcoming Raffle - August 8, 2018
- Sweat Shop BBQ – Sunday Aug. 19th – 12:00pm @ Heather Farms - August 7, 2018
- Weekly WOD Insight 7/16/18 - July 15, 2018
- Mindful Running - July 12, 2018
- Farewell Rene! - July 3, 2018