Weekly WOD Insight 4/11/22
– The goal for today is to use part A as a warm-up for folks to go heavier on part B, while also briefly checking in on push press/jerk/split jerk technique which we don’t always program in isolation. The reps are coming from the ground so choose some technical loads for part A.
– I’m shooting for around 5:30-7:30 minute rounds. The cardio will take the biggest chunk of time (roughly around 3:30-4:45. So, when choosing your other movements, think a rep range on jump rope that won’t take longer than a minute, and a little over a minute to do the DOWN UPS and GTO.
– We rarely program intervals in this middle distance, so if you are new to this much cardio, I’d suggest going lighter and less reps for the first round and then assess after the first round if you want to go up in weight or on more reps.
EMOM for 8 minutes
3-5 Rep Push Press, Push Jerk, or split jerk from Floor.
Every 9 minutes for 27 minutes
Each set for time
800m run or Row or Bike Equiv (ADV Row: 1000m)
15 Double unders or 60 Singles (ADV: 30 DU) (Beef: 50)
8 Ground to Overhead 95/65, 115/75, 135/96, (Bison ascending: 135/95, 155/105, 165/115)
8 Down ups or Burpees (Beef: 10 BFB)
– I wanted to create a benchmark that had all the elements (barbell, gymnastics, cardio) that can be retested as you all improve your skill set on each. You will see this the next time I program! I put the time cap specifically at 2 min round pace so that you have a goal to shoot for. It’s OK if you cannot get the 12 rounds in the time cap. Again this will be a benchmark you will get a chance at again!
– The DLs should be something you can do UB, the cardio should stay consistent each round, and if the bodyweight stuff starts to break down and slow down significantly, you can scale the reps down.
“Two Minutes to Win it”
24 minute Clock
200m Run or machine equivalent
3 Deadlifts 165/115, 185/125, 225/155, 275/185 (Elk: 2 reps @ 315/225)
6/4 Pushups (ADV: 8/6) (Beef: 6 HSPU)
8 Situps or Hanging Knee Raises (ADV: 4 T2B) (Beef: 6 T2B) (Bison: 8 T2B)
– While it is surely a leg day…..I am looking for some solid attempts on the weighted pull-up! Who is going to surprise me out there!? I want to see it!
22 minute clock for part A and A2)
Back Squat, Front Squat, or OHS
Set of 10 is 75% of the best 3 rep
3-5 Sets of 5-10 Strict Pullups
ADV: Find a 1 RM Weighted Pullup
“Acid Base Balance”
100/80 Cal Machine
*Every 90 seconds, starting at 0:00: 5 Thrusters 45/35, 75/55, 95/65, 115/75
– This week we are going to add a little more time on the EMOMs like Bri programmed last week. But, we’ll keep two options: traditional non cardio, and cardio. For the cardio folks, the 2 minutes seems to give enough time to get a solid attempt in, and for the non cardio folks, it allows the coach more time to not only get around to everyone more than once, but also more time to watch and communicate the specific fixes you need.
Every 2 Minutes for 20 minutes
2 Snatches or Squat Cleans
200m Run or Machine Equiv
2 Snatches or Cleans
Box Jump Overs
Russian KB Swings 53/35, 70/44, (Beef: American 70/53)
*1 Rope Climb after each set (ADV: Legless)
– Shooting for around 4-5:30 minute rounds and unbroken sets on the DB.
– The wall walks will be especially challenging today given the shoulders and HR on the movements. Focus on staying tight through the torso and taking a few breaths before starting.
– I did just 2 rounds and it was a gasser. Take it safe on the first round! The heart rate shoots up super early as the snatches sand lunges will most likely be unbroken.
403m Run or machine equivalent
12 DB Snatch 45/25, (ADV: Alt 50/35) (Beef: 16 @ 50/35)
10 DB Goblet Lunges (Beef: Single Arm OH Lunge)
2 Wall Walks (ADV: 3) (Beef: 5 Wall Walks or 30ft HS Walk) (Bison: 50ft HS Walk)
– I love the challenge of this format because it allows for recovery between the barbell and movements inside, but…. the recovery gets shorter as you get closer to finishing the workout. It challenges not only the mental grit of finishing, but also, how to properly preserve your grip and intensity. It’ll be very shoulder-y on paper, but the runs give you some time for recovery early. The barbell might need to be broken up from HPC to STO strategically, but you should choose a weight where rest is no longer than 15 seconds.
800m Run or Machine Equivalent (Ragnar Option: 1200m)
15 Wall Balls (ADV: 21) (Beef: 27)
12 Hang Power Cleans 75/55, 95/65, 115/75, 135/95
9 STO 75/55, 95/65, 115/75, 135/95
6 Pullups (ADV: C2B 3/2 BMU) (Beef: 6 Bar Muscle Ups) (Bison: 8 Bar or 5 Ring MU)
600m Run or Machine Equivalent (Ragnar Option: 800m)
403m Run or Machine Equivalent (Ragnar Option: 600m)
200m Run or Machine Equivalent (Ragnar Option: 403m)
3 parts. Simply and effective. Go hard. Go heavy… if you want to in the middle…and have fun.
8 Minute AMRAP
10 Calories of choice
10 V-ups or HNK (ADV: 5 T2B) (Beef: 10 T2B)
-rest 1 min-
7 Minute Clock
5 Front Squats 95/65, 115/75, 135/95
Option 2: find 3 Rep Front Squat From Floor
-rest 1 min-
6 Minute AMRAP
10 Double Unders (ADV: 20) (Beef: 30)
10 Down Ups (ADV: Burpees)