Strict with Strict Movements
6:00 Alt EMOM
- 1-8 Strict Pull Ups
- 1-8 Push Ups
8:00 Alt EMOM
- 1-8 Strict Handstand Push Ups
- :30 Hollow Hold
9:00 Alt EMOM
- 1-8 Strict Ring Dips
- 1-8 Strict Toes to Bar
- 1-8 Strict Chest to Bar Pull Ups
As you may have noticed, each week we have been incorporating 1 or 2 of these “Skill” EMOMs (these are just examples) before the main portion of our workouts. I wanted to take some time to encourage all of you to really try and take advantage of these when they are programmed as it gives you guys a chance to practice them in a non-fatiguing state such as in a metcon.
Anyway, strict movements act as a foundation for more advanced movements such as ring/bar muscle ups, kipping handstand push ups, kipping/butterfly pull ups. These movements are, in nature, more dynamic then their respective counterparts and thus put a significant amount of torque and tension into the shoulders and surrounding muscle groups. Without first building a strong foundation of strict movements, there is a greater chance of injury! Other than just being solid foundational movements, strict movements serve as excellent accessory skills for those of you who love the barbell stuff!
Lastly, confused about the 1-8 rep scheme? We leave this there to encourage quality over quantity. 4-5 EXCELLENT strict reps benefit more in the long run than 7-8 sketchy reps. Remember, these are the times to help build that foundation of gymnastics before moving on to more advanced skills.
Look for more of this format in the future and try to take advantage!
- Feedback - May 18, 2017
- Remember to Play - May 11, 2017
- Story Telling - May 4, 2017
- Knee Stability - April 27, 2017
- Reflection - April 20, 2017
- Not CrossFit Related v2 - April 6, 2017
- Structured Warm Up - March 30, 2017
- Slowing Down for a Second - March 23, 2017
- Strict with Strict Movements - March 16, 2017
- Warning: Not CrossFit Related…kinda - March 9, 2017