Floating Now Available in Walnut Creek
Last Friday I finally got to experience something I have wanted to try for a couple of years now. Floating is something that has been around since the 70’s, but in the past few years is regaining popularity due in part to some big name celebrities, such as Steph Curry, and other members of the Golden State Warriors, using it for recover, relaxation, and mental preparation during their championship season. Until now, the closest Float locations were in either Oakland or San Francisco. I was pretty stoked however when I found out that one recently opened in Walnut Creek (in the Shadelands business park area).
In short, you can choose between a large pod, or something similar to a huge walk in shower. The water is only about 10 inches deep, but it has so much epson salt (something like 1800 pounds), you float completely effortlessly. The water is also warmed to skin temperature and with the room or pod being completely dark, you truly feel as though you are floating in space after lying still for a few minutes and letting your mind clear. There’s a long list of reported benefits to floating, which I can’t necessarily confirm, but I will say that I felt SUPER relaxed upon leaving, and slept much better than usual that evening!
The place is called Peak Performance Float, located at 311 Lennon Lane in Walnut Creek. You can check out their website here.
Lastly, I have two tips for any CrossFitters considering floating:
- If your hands are torn wait for them to heal before you go. If you have some small abrasions on your shins from deadlifts, or on your arms from ring dips make sure to cover them with vaseline (they provide it there). Otherwise the salt in the water will give you a pretty good sting.
- If you already meditate I think you’ll be able to get to a completely relaxed state much sooner, but no worries if you don’t already meditate…it may take a few minutes, but try to clear your mind and make sure not to stress if you don’t “feel” anything right away! If you want some practice clearing your mind, or your interested in meditation but aren’t sure how to start, I recommend the app Headspace. You can download it to your phone and it will guide your through some 10 minute sessions to help teach you how to meditate. Like any other skill worth having, it doesn’t happen instantly, and takes some practice, but stick with it as the results are totally worth it! For those that already meditate, I think you’ll find that a Floating provides a perfect environment for meditation.
- WOD Overview 12/11/17 - December 11, 2017
- 2017 CrossFit Liftoff – Results - December 6, 2017
- Do Your Research - November 30, 2017
- Sweat Shop Spartan Race - November 14, 2017
- Weekly WOD’s Overview 11/13 - November 13, 2017
- Featured Athlete: Meghan G. - November 7, 2017
- Featured Athlete: Andrew - November 2, 2017
- Featured Athlete: Eric L. - October 27, 2017
- Weekly WOD Insights - October 15, 2017
- Featured Athlete: Celeste A. - October 5, 2017